Monday, June 2, 2008

Reconstruction

This is a necklace I made several years ago using beach glass found at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was actually chosen to be in a book but was edited out at practically the last moment. It's just as well because it pains me now to look at the wirewraps I struggled with back then.

Believe it or not we went to the Outer Banks that cool fall day specifically to look for interesting beach glass, one of my obsessions then and now. Both the large focal piece and the smaller blue piece were found that day. I was so excited to finally find the large blue piece after much searching. Immediately I knew I wanted to drill holes in it for dangly charms. Now I have a different idea in mind and the necklace here pictured is deconstructed and in the process of major reconstruction. It will still have dangling charms but the new ones are my handmade charms and beads, with a little nature tossed in for balance. A double silver link chain softened with patina connects the pendant, still such a nice memory from that spur of the moment journey. These journeys are always the best kind.
Pictures of the new necklace soon as it's completed...

After my lackadaisical week last week, I had such great plans for a constructive weekend. Alas, I spent the weekend in bed with the crud. Feeling better now and since I found out today I did not in fact get the dreaded job I figured was in the bag (after being narrowed down from 600 applicants, to 20 finalists and then was one of five cut in the end, oh joy), I have more time now to work on projects as well as worry about my future. Back to the drawing board...

1 comment:

Lorelei Eurto said...

I love the outer banks...my favorite vacation spot ever!

This necklace is lovely but I can't wait to see what you come up with next. I am betting it will be really organic and beautiful!