Wednesday, August 27, 2008

thinking about things


Nine months ago yesterday my brother in law died suddenly. Several months after his death, my husband's remaining brother burned a CD of tunes that John loved. I listen to it often, and when the CD is off the songs often still run through my mind. Dire Straits, Cranberries, U2, Counting Crows, Johnny Cash. It's uncanny how each song is perfect for the memories, good and bad, happy and sad, I have of more than ten years of knowing my husband's oldest brother. It's funny how a person can just disappear from the face of the earth. It's like he's still here but we just haven't seen each other in a while. Even all these months later, when we visit his old place, I expect him to walk out with a big grin on his face. It's the weirdest feeling and I often have to work to keep my spirits up. I guess this is prompted also by working on some commissioned memory necklaces.

"People do not die for us immediately, but remain
bathed in a sort of aura
of life which bears no relation to true immortality
but through which they
continue to occupy our thoughts in the same way as
when they were alive. It
is as though they were traveling abroad." ~Marcel
Proust

No comments: