Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Micro-crochet Beaded Necklace



My jewelry making life has taken a back seat to my embroidery life but I whupped up this necklace for my mother for mother's day a few weeks ago and thought I would share it.  The two nubby- looking beads of purple are ones I utilized combining my love of fiber work with jewelry by micro-crocheting them with fine silk wool and sewing thread with a size 14 steel crochet hook.  It took some figuring out to get the increases and decreases to fit the bead but here is the end result and I am satisfied with it for a first endeavor.


Size 20 mm micro-crochet bead.  The beads to the left and right are lampwork glass beads I've been hoarding since 2008.  :-)


Another closeup.


Beads paired with tied rustic leather cord and brass chain and clasp.


Here is a bead in progress.  It begins as a simple wooden 20 mm bead, with thread wound on a small plastic tab, and using my trusty Addi Turbo steel crochet hook, I work around and around with teeny tiny single crochet stitches, marking the start of the row with a safety pin, although since this bead I have switched to a piece of thread to mark the spot, pulled through with the hook.  Determining where to start increasing to fit the bead is a bit of trial and error at first and in fact, this little piece was frogged back a few rounds to fit better before continuing on.


The finished bead from above, strung on a simple silver chain.  Thanks for looking at my blog!  

6 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Hi Jenn!
This necklace is so pretty! I love the fiber covered beads, they are really rich!

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Thank you! If they were not so labor intensive, I'd make a big pile of them as they are really fun to see come together! Thanks for looking at my long-neglected blog! :-)

deanna7trees said...

you did a great job on the bead and the necklace. i might give that a try...that is, crocheting over the bead. love the look.

Roaming Pixies said...

Love this...I want to explore some crochet work with lampwork beads.

Christina said...

Very pretty. Miss seeing you at bobbin lace. We are
meeting on Nov 10 here in Richmond - can you make it?
Christina

Andrew said...

They are precious from the perspective of the artistic pattern.
Background Remove